- E. A. Amadei, A. C. Shpiner, V. Saravanan, W. Mays, L. J. Young and R. C. Liu, Mating in the monogamous prairie vole dynamically modulates functional neural connectivity between mesocorticolimbic reward sites (in preparation).
Journal Publications in Neuroscience
- K. N. Shepard*, F. G. Lin*, C. L. Zhao, K. K. Chong and R. C. Liu (in press), Behavioral relevance helps untangle natural vocal categories in a specific subset of core auditory cortical pyramidal neurons, Journal of Neuroscience.
- K. N. Shepard, L. C. Liles, D. Weinshenker and R. C. Liu (in press), Norepinephrine is necessary for experience-dependent plasticity in the developing mouse auditory cortex, Journal of Neuroscience.
- J. A. Miranda, K. N. Shepard, S. K. McClintock and R. C. Liu (2014), Adult plasticity in the subcortical auditory pathway of the maternal mouse, PLoS ONE 9(7):e101630.
- I. Kirste, Z. Nicola, G. Kronenberg, T. L. Walker R. C. Liu and G. Kempermann (2013), Is silence golden? Effects of auditory stimuli and their absence on adult hippocampal neurogenesis, Brain Structure and Function (in press).
- S. Bennur, J. Tsunada, Y. E Cohen, R. C. Liu (2013), Understanding acoustic communication: A perspective on the value of ethological paradigms, Hearing Research 305:3-9.
- S. B. Banerjee and R. C. Liu (2013), Storing maternal memories: Hypothesizing an interaction of experience and estrogen on sensory cortical plasticity to learn infant cues, Frontiers in Neuroendocrinology 34(4):300-314.
- T. P. Vogels, R. C. Froemke, N. Doyon, M. Gilson, J. S. Haas, R. C. Liu, A. Maffei, C. J. Wierenga, M. Woodin, F. Zenke, H. Sprekeler (2013), Inhibitory synaptic plasticity: Spike timing-dependence and putative network function, Frontiers in Neural Circuits 7:119.
- F. G. Lin, E. E. Galindo-Leon, T. N. Ivanova, R. C. Mappus and R. C. Liu (2013), A role for maternal physiological state in preserving auditory cortical plasticity for salient infant calls, Neuroscience 247:102-116.
- A. G. Dunlap, F. G. Lin and R. C. Liu (2013), Auditory processing for contrast enhancement of salient communication vocalizations, Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 133(5):3353.
- C. L. Zhao, F. G. Lin and R. C. Liu (2012), Spike train distance metric reveals plasticity in discrimination of salient calls by putative excitatory cells of the auditory cortex, BMC Neuroscience 13(Suppl I):P97.
- T. Ivanova, A. Matthews, C. Gross, R. C. Mappus, A. Swanson, G. J. Bassell and R. C. Liu (2011), Arc/Arg3.1 mRNA expression reveals a subcellular trace of prior sound exposure in adult primary auditory cortex, Neuroscience 181:117-126.
- K. N. Shepard and R. C. Liu (2011), Experience restores innate female preference for male ultrasonic vocalizations, Genes Brain Behavior 10:28-34.
- F. G. Lin and R. C. Liu (2010), Subset of thin spike cortical neurons preserve the peripheral encoding of stimulus onsets, Journal of Neurophysiology 104:3588-3599.
- E. E. Galindo-Leon and R. C. Liu (2010), Predicting stimulus-locked single unit spiking from cortical local field potentials, Journal of Computational Neuroscience 29:581-597.
- E. E. Galindo-Leon*, F. G. Lin* and R. C. Liu (2009), Inhibitory plasticity in a lateral band improves cortical detection of natural vocalizations, Neuron 62:705-716.
- J. A. Miranda and R. C. Liu (2009), Dissecting natural sensory plasticity: Hormones and experience in a maternal context, Hearing Research 252:20-27.
- R. C. Liu and C. E. Schreiner (2007), Auditory cortical detection and discrimination correlates with communicative significance, PLoS Biology 5: e173.
- R. C. Liu , J. F. Linden and C. E. Schreiner (2006), Improved cortical entrainment to infant communication calls in mothers compared to virgin mice, European Journal of Neuroscience 23: 3087-3097.
- R. C. Liu (2006), Prospective contributions of transgenic mouse models to central auditory research, Brain Research 1091:217-223.
- F. Strata, A. R. Delpolyi, B. H. Bonham, E. F. Chang, R. C. Liu, H. Nakahara and M. M. Merzenich (2005), Perinatal anoxia degrades auditory system function in rats, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 102:19156-19161.
- R. C. Liu , K. D. Miller, M. M. Merzenich and C. E. Schreiner (2003), Acoustic variability and distinguishability among mouse ultrasound vocalizations, Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 114:3412-3422.
- J. F. Linden, R. C. Liu, M. Sahani, C. E. Schreiner and M. M. Merzenich (2003), Spectrotemporal structure of receptive fields in areas AI and AAF of mouse auditory cortex, Journal of Neurophysiology 90:2660-2675.
- R. C. Liu , S. Tzonev, S. Rebrik and K. D. Miller (2001), Variability and information in a neural code of the cat lateral geniculate nucleus, Journal of Neurophysiology 86:2789-2806.
Book Chapters and Edited Volumes in Neuroscience
- C. I. Petkov, T. Q. Gentner and R. C. Liu (editors), Communication Sounds and the Brain: New Directions and Perspectives, Special Issue in Hearing Research, vol. 305 (2013).
- K. N. Shepard, M. Kilgard and R. C. Liu, Experience-dependent plasticity and the auditory cortex, in Neural Correlates of Auditory Cognition, ed. by Y. Cohen, R. R. Fay and A. N. Popper (Springer Handbook of Auditory Research, New York, in press).
- R. C. Liu, Inhibitory plasticity and auditory function, in Inhibitory Synaptic Plasticity, ed. by M. A. Woodin and A. Maffei (Springer Science+Business Media, New York, 2011).
Selected Publications in Condensed Matter Physics
- W. D. Oliver, J. Kim, R. C. Liu and Y. Yamamoto (1999), Hanbury Brown and Twiss-type experiment with electrons, Science 284:299-301.
- R. C. Liu , B. Odom, Y. Yamamoto and S. Tarucha (1998), Quantum interference in electron collision, Nature 391:263-265.
- R. C. Liu and Y. Yamamoto (1995), Conductance dependent suppression of current partition noise in mesoscopic electron branching circuits, Physical Review B 210:37-42.
- R. C. Liu and Y. Yamamoto (1994), Nyquist noise in the transition from mesoscopic to macroscopic transport, Physical Review B 50:17411-17414.
- R. C. Liu and Y. Yamamoto (1994), Suppression of quantum partition noise in mesoscopic electron branching circuits, Physical Review B 49:10520-10532.
Last Updated: 11/11/2014